Going to add to this with some personal thoughts. And I’m sure I’m going to be adding more thoughts and explanation to this in the future… but again you can go to this post to see the updated version.
So basic summary: Everything that’s a video is out of world, every piece of social media that references a video is out of world.
- That means both YT channel videos are out of world.
- If emma tweets about a video that update is out of world.
- If emma tweets about clothing or to another character, that is in world.
- If emma blogs about a video, that update is out of world.
- If emma blogs about clothing or life/love advice that blog is in world.
Now would it be cleaner if Emma didn’t tweet or blog about the videos for the sake of in world/out of world definition? Absolutely. It would be way cleaner but it leaves one fatal flaw.
It means that the primary entry points for any new viewer to the show would not have any video content.
New Viewer: “What’s the show?”
Fan: “It’s called Emma Approved, go check it out”
New viewer fires up the laptop, goes to EmmaApproved.com.
NV: “Where are the videos?”
New Viewer goes to EmmaApproved on twitter.
NV: Where are the videos?
New Viewer goes to Facebook.
NV: Where are the videos? I can’t find them.
There was actually a time when we were considering not having video content on the EmmaApproved.com website. That was until a fan of the show (of an older generation) came up to me and said, “I went to the website and I didn’t find any videos.” — OUCH!
I am fully aware that this won’t be a popular choice amongst the super interactive fans. Especially the ones that liked how LBD felt real at times. But I believe it’s an evolution we needed to make for Emma Approved given the premise.
I also think this doesn’t kill the interactive, it just evolves it. You may think it’s not as expansive or immerse yet, but we just started the show. Personally, I believe that at this point we are far more expansive than LBD was at the same point or even LBD was at many points.
We’re only on episode four. Yet right now, even though Emma is almost entirely speaking about plot, her expanded destinations shows you much more about her than the Lizzie expansions revealed about her. To clarify, I’m speaking about the individual character and not the show as a whole.
Many of you weren’t part of the LBD at the beginning but at this point in that narrative we hadn’t revealed that Darcy, Bing Lee, and Caroline were even on twitter. Nor had we revealed that we were going to do Q&A videos.
As many of you know we won the Emmy for original interactive series. The presentation that we did to demonstrate our interactive excellence was focused on three elements and all three elements are still in play.
- The ability to interact with characters: Far and away the most direct way to interact with characters is to tweet at them. You can still do this.
- The ability to find out more about characters by diving around their social media accounts (Pinterest, LOOKBOOK, This is my jam): Right now we are VERY Emma heavy by design. But again you can still do this.
- The ability to experience events from alternate characters points of view: We didn’t reveal we were doing this in The LBD until month 4 / 27 episodes in (the first Lydia spinoff). So this is still a TBD / spoiler.
As much as the interactive experience is important to us, the most important thing is to tell a good story. The story is the mother ship that drives to the interactive experience. If you don’t have a good story then the interactive is pretty much irrelevant.
Thanks for asking questions. Keep doing it. Just trying to clear this all up so you can all just enjoy the story.
We have a new Emma Approved FAQ page here… but the burning question is where to the videos lie in world and out.
This blog post was first updated last night and edited after Bernie jumped into a hangout to get more questions from fans. This post may continue to evolve.
Full copied post after the jump.
Hello, Bernie Su here to explain what is planned for Emma Approved’s in world/out of world experience. Who knows about the videos? Who doesn’t? Does Emma know there are thousands of people watching her? Do Knightley, Annie, Harriet, and everyone else know that there are videos of them on the internet?
This may be long but there is a quick bullet point summary at the end.
First let’s talk about in world vs. out of world. The world is the world of the characters. Lizzie, Emma, Gigi, Lydia, they all exist in one world. They all are aware that they are being filmed, which is why they’re always looking towards the camera.
With The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, its spinoffs, and Welcome to Sanditon the camera was a direct channel out into “our world.” Lizzie knew that she was uploading vlogs. She knew that she had hundreds and thousands of viewers weekly. The people around Lizzie also knew she had videos (or eventually discovered she did). The discovering of Lizzie’s videos, who knew about them and who didn’t know about them was a source of tension that we mined repeatedly with many of the characters.
There were at times it got really contrived. How could *blank* not know about the videos?! That’s ridiculous?! That makes them ignorant bordering on irresponsible!” This was critique is especially prevalent during the final 1/3 of the story.
Now regarding Emma Approved we are required to make some changes. The way Emma Woodhouse is, especially with her unorthodox methods, there needs to be a shield between her and the other characters. A lot of things that she does, she would be called out upon immediately by her supporting colleagues.
For Emma to be effective she needs to be covert and secretive, thus Emma’s videos are not seen by anyone. Every character in the Emma Approved world doesn’t know that there are public videos of what she’s doing. They just know that they are being recorded.
So in the world of Emma Approved here’s how it works.
1. Emma is recording a documentary of herself, documenting her greatness.
2. Emma’s co-workers and friends (Knightley, Harriet, Annie, Ryan etc) do not know that there are public videos of them.
3. She is recording these moments for her life story and her lifetime achievement award.
For other examples of this in popular culture you can think of Modern Family or Parks and Recreation. These are shot documentary style with all the characters being very camera aware. Emma Approved is similar in the same vein. Emma wants to document everything.
Some more questions mined from a YouTube hangout.
Q: Why are there two channels then? Are they both out of world? Does Emma and Harriet know about them?
Everything that’s a video is out of world. Even the ones on EmmaApproved’s channel.
Q: So what exactly is Emma doing?
She is is filming this footage and archiving for herself for later.
Q: Are the videos occurring in real time like LBD? e.g. Fri-Sun for the Monday video and Tues-Wed for the Thursday video.
A: For now yes. But not all LBD videos were recorded and uploaded in real time. Notable examples are episode 97/98 - 13/14/15
Everything that’s not in a video or referencing a video is in world.
—— Summary or TL;DR
- Emma knows she recording herself.
- Emma’s friends and clients are aware that Emma is recording many things.
- They are not aware that their videos are being posted on the internet, because to them they are not for public consumption.
- Emma’s public channel and Pemberley Digital’s channel are out of world to her and the other characters.
- Emma’s social and website are in-world, but the videos are out of the world.
- Everything that’s a video OR referencing a video is out of world. Everything else is in world.